Sunday, February 19, 2012

The Triple Bypass Burger? Stop it.

Earlier this week, a man ate at a restaurant called "The Heart Attack Grill" in Arizona and found himself in an ambulance shortly after.  His menu selection was the Triple Bypass Burger which is now estimated to contain 6,000 calories.  I guess you really get what you ask for at this place because the man had a heart attack while eating that lovely burger.  While the staff there is dressed as nurses and doctors and you are given a surgical gown to eat in, there wasn't much medical attention available on the spot.  The owner defended his restaurant on Twitter and also said "I am here to tell you straight out I am here to make a buck."

I know this may come off as a big joke to the owner, but I'll tell you something that isn't very funny...a triple bypass.  We're talking life and death here, not burgers and milkshakes.  While doctors tell their patients to eat better and exercise, here we have a guy who thinks making a buck off of someone's lack of self control is perfectly acceptable.  Unfortunately, there is no way to realistically shut this establishment down because there is nothing "illegal" about it.  There are also no laws in Arizona or most states that require restaurants to publish their nutritional information.  This is where I think California has done well. Nobody wants to go out for a nice dinner to see the nutritional facts guide sitting there, but I like knowing its there if I want to take a peek.

This story should shed light on the uphill battle we face everyday in striving to become a healthier nation. I'm not saying you can never have a burger because trust me, I enjoy my burger once in a while too.  All I'm saying is lets be smart about avoiding the obvious heart attack and pick up a sandwich or salad once in a while.  The choice is yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment